Well, I have been on barn watch duty for two weeks now, as my mare Red Rose Sioux is due to give birth any day or night. I was hoping for April 5th as it is my moms birthday and she is getting to name the foal, we missed that "faults labor". Then it was Nana's birthday on the 13th, (My moms, mom) "faults labor" now it is my little sisters birthday on the 22nd, I think Sioux just wants to torcher me, LOL.
Anyways, for the past two weeks Sioux has had me running ragged keeping me up all hours of the night. Now, I am not one of these worry warts that has to call a vet for every little thing, I am not one of these people that thinks horses cant have babies without our help, this being her third time around she's an old hand at this, and I know she can do this all on her own and most likely will not need my help, however I do want to be there to see the foal born ( I guess some things never change, as when I was a kid and a mare would get close to foaling, I would climb out the bedroom window down the crab apple tree and head to the barn every night, get sent back to my room and as soon as my step mom came back to the house, out the window again I would go, she finally gave up LOL) and make sure that everything goes alright, as far as I am concerned I would be happy to be like a piece of Irish Lace in the background.
When I go to the barn on these trips of false labor, and Sioux comes to the door, I always go in and give her a massage and talk to her as she buries her head into my chest and goes to sleep, grrrrrrrrrrrrr, lol. I scratch her and brush her and make sure she is OK. Well, I think that girl has learned this, and so every night we go through the same routine usually several times, her lying down, kicking the barn so I can hear her in the house, heavy breathing, swishing her tail, sweating, what looks to be contractions, then she will get up go over and start eating and nothing for the rest of the night. Her last due date is the 21st so I am not worried. But Ya, I think she has my number, lol.
Wednesday, April 15, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment